Saturday 3 December 2016

{ DIY } Peppy peppermint body scrub.

Hello friends.

'Tis the season! How we've crept into December so quickly, I have no idea. As I get older, I find myself dreading the old Christmas shopping....Angsting over what to buy my nearest and dearest, not wanting to just buy for the sake of buying. Over the years, our family has adopted new present buying rules with a secret Santa type vibe and a limit of what we're to spend. This has worked out really well and we leave Christmas day with happy hearts, full bellies and a present we are very grateful for (and there are no awkward oh-thanks-for-this-gift-that-I-am-totally-never-going-to-use-ever moments.)

The part I get stuck on is the gifts for my girlfriends. We all have our homes set up, own style and generally we have everything we need. So what does one give to say "Hey! I really like you and enjoy having you in my life"? We all have that board on Pinterest FULL of DIY's that we are totally never going to get around to and this is where I turn every year when I am stuck for something that I can make easily and know that it's actually going to be used. 

This year I decided to have a go at making a body scrub. I love a bit of relaxation. A long shower  or bath (where Adele is my bestie and we wash the troubles of the day away.) I always love a good exfoliant, keeping the skin fresh and smooth. Coming into summer the legs are looking a little worse for wear if I'm honest. A little bit lacking in life and what better way to get them summer ready than a delicious, relaxing body scrub!? Yeah, I know. I am a total genius.

I thought I would share what I have managed to create - Only because it worked and I am quite chuffed about it. 

The superstars of the scrub that I've created are: 
  • 1/2 cup of Epsom salts
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • 10 drops of essential oil - I used a peppermint, rosemary, lemon and Cyprus blend
  • 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
  • Dried flowers - I used rose and tulsi leaf
  • A small jar - I picked mine up from good old Kmart for like $2. Bloody love Kmart.



First things first, pop your coconut oil on a low heat to melt. Set aside once melted. Grab a measuring cup and measure out your Epsom salt and sugar. Once measured out, grab yourself a bowl or container and mix them together. 


Get your gorgeous dried flower goodies, pop about four generous pinches into your bowl and gently combine into scrub mixture. I love the colour and lovely touch that the dried rose and Tulsi made, that I may have gone a little overboard....I figured you can never have too much dried flower goodness, right!?



This next step will light your nose senses on fire! Pop 10 drops of your essential oil of choice into the scrub mixture and mix together. Again, I am very generous so maybe start with fewer drops and work up to a scent level that you're happy with. I really wanted the peppermint to jump out and slap ya in the face when you open the jar, hence the 10 drop measurement and boy oh boy does that peppermint get ya! Once the oil is combined, grab your melted coconut and pour into the mixture. Combine well.


You have now successfully created your very own delicious body scrub! Well done! If you're anything like me, you'll do a little victory dance, proudly announce to your husband that you're bloody awesome and check that he already knew the fact. It's time to transfer your creation into a container/jar. I think an air tight jar will be best. Scoop your scrub mixture into your container of choice and pop the lid on. 


Slap a bit of ribbon or twine around it and you'll be away laughing. I'm going to get my amazing husband (who is my very own resident graphic designer...I know! How lucky am I?!) to whip up a lovely wee label to go on my jar and will add a little bit of twine and a gorgeous, organic tea bag as a final touch. 


So there you have it! I hope this provides you with some inspiration and positive reinforcement that you can totally create your own amazing gifts for your nearest and dearest. Ditch buying crap they'll never use and take the time to create something you know that they will love! Any of my girlfriends reading this.....Yup. You can almost count on receiving one of these. Could you humour me and act really surprised and stoked when you are given one? Ta. 

Until next time friends, don't let the Christmas hype consume you and enjoy the gorgeous summer days ahead. I am personally looking forward to beach days and heading away for a few nights with the husband in our little car which he has very cleverly fitted a mattress in the boot! Adventures await and I cannot wait.

Bye for now,
A.x

PS: Thank you to Cam for snapping away while I made the scrub. You're just so great x

1 comment:

  1. YUUUMM!!! PS: bloody love kmart and Aromaflex too!

    ReplyDelete